The aim of this session is to equip registered mentors with new knowledge and skills necessary to undertake the role of the Sign Off Mentor (SOM) in compliance with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Standards to Support Learning and Assessment in Practice (SLAiP, 2008).
All students undertaking an NMC approved pre-registration nursing programme must be supported to develop their clinical competence and are assessed by a registered and up to date mentor. This session will provide the additional training necessary for mentors who are responsible for the assessment of students during their final management placement.
SOM’s will be responsible for making a summative assessment of the final practice placement as well as the cross referencing of all previous clinical placements. The student must also be able to demonstrate appropriate competence and knowledge in order to be able to complete the practice element of their whole course. The SOM will be responsible for signing the students On-going Achievement Record (OAR) for clinical practice.
- Recognise the importance of the SOM according to the NMC Standards to support learning and assessment in practice (SLAiP)
- Recognise the importance of timely completion of the students practice documents and the OAR and the impact on student progression.
- Apply the method of triangulation of evidence when assessing student competence to ensure fitness for practice to enter the nursing register during the SO period.
- To participate in debate about SO mentoring judgment scenarios with colleagues within the classroom setting.
- Formative- Engagement in lecture discussion and participation in quiz
- Formative- Engagement in discussion activities
- Formative- Demonstration of appropriate judgments in SOM scenarios
- Summative- Self assessment with SOM proforma
- Summative – Guided SOM assessment in the clinical area.
Mentors - Nursing
A qualified mentor to student nurses - registered on the Trust mentor database for at least 12 months. Your status will be cross checked for eligibility and evidence of an NMC recognised qualification may be requested.
5 times a year at each hospital site.
For dates and locations please see the Practice Placement Team Intranet site.
Email: [email protected].